What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
Revision rhinoplasty refers to a secondary nose surgery procedure for people who have had a primary rhinoplasty procedure
Most rhinoplasty cases involve a reduction or removal of nasal structures to achieve a cosmetically enhanced appearance in the nose. In some ethnic cases, nasal implants are required to add or build up to the nasal bridge of the nose. This is commonly seen with Asian and African-American noses. The size and shape of the nose is designed based on the face’s overall appearance in the shape, size, and integrity of the natural attributes of the face.
Nasal surgery is one of the most challenging of all facial surgeries due to the high level of precision and expertise required to achieve natural, cosmetically pleasing rhinoplasty results. The intricate anatomy of the nose and surrounding structures makes revision rhinoplasty a complex surgery. Surgeons must use extremely difficult correctional techniques for noses that have had too much bone or cartilage removed.
Ideal candidates for revision rhinoplasty
Ideal candidates for revision rhinoplasty include people who are unhappy with the results from their first rhinoplasty procedure, people who have had an ineffective septoplasty procedure, and people who require further improvements from their initial rhinoplasty procedure. Some of the reasons why some patients require a revision rhinoplasty include:
Cosmetic/Non-Cosmetic Nose Jobs
The surgery results in abnormal deformities in the nose that were not present in the nose prior to surgery. Sometimes surgery can enhance a person’s pre-existing anatomical deformity, leading to pronounced appearance to the area after surgery. Cosmetic deformities require the restoration of internal and external nasal configurations that may have surfaced from the patient’s primary rhinoplasty procedure.
Unsatisfactory outcomes usually result in a revision rhinoplasty to restore aesthetic balance.
Health-Related Issues – Breathing Problems
Rhinoplasty procedures can sometimes cause breathing problems if the patient experiences any post-op complications. This can be addressed with functional revision septoplasty and rhinoplasty procedure to open up airways for improved breathing while cosmetically improving the nose following any damage that may have occurred from the unforeseen complications.
Removing too much of the native qualities of the nose can result in an unpleasant collapse of nasal structures that have had too much supportive nasal tissue removed, thus changing the nasal anatomy in extreme proportions. These types of revision rhinoplasty procedures often entail the placement of an implant to restore the natural support that was lost in the nasal cavity.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Is A Revision Rhinoplasty Procedure?
Revision rhinoplasty procedures can be performed quickly in under an hour or they may require several hours of extensive sculpting of the nose’s underlying framework. Your plastic surgeon can provide you with an estimated surgery time along with the appropriate sedation required for your specific procedure.
How Is The Recovery From Revision Rhinoplasty?
Recovery from revision rhinoplasty is similar to that of a rhinoplasty procedure with a downtime of about 10 to 14 days. Sometimes a cast and surgical tape is placed for one week following surgery to help mold and heal the nose after surgery. Most revision rhinoplasty patients can resume their normal activities within a week or two.
When Can You Get A Revision Rhinoplasty Procedure?
Patience is key in the healing of the nose from a rhinoplasty procedure. Most cosmetic plastic surgeons recommend waiting anywhere from 12 to 24 months before proceeding with a revision rhinoplasty procedure to allow the body to adequately heal from the first procedure.
How Do I Know If I Need A Revision Rhinoplasty Procedure?
Ideal candidates for revision rhinoplasty are people who want to restore their nasal shape and function. Revision rhinoplasty patients must have realistic expectations regarding the outcome of the second surgery. A secondary procedure naturally presents an increased risk.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?